Job Title: Fitness & Wellness Supervisor
FLSA Status: Non-exempt
Status: Full Time
Reports to: Senior Director of Health and Wellness
This position supports the work of the Y, a leading nonprofit committed to strengthening community through youth development, healthy living and social responsibility. The Watertown Family YMCA is looking for a proven leader in innovative fitness and wellness programming and delivery to serve as the Fitness and Wellness Supervisor for the Watertown Family YMCA. Supporting our members throughout all stages of their healthy living journey at the Watertown YMCA is the key to achieving our Association’s strategic priority of enhancing the region’s health and well-being.
The Fitness and Wellness Supervisor will:.
- Be a Leader for fitness and wellness programming in the health and wellness department of the Watertown Family YMCA and incorporate a best practice model for excellence in wellness and fitness programming and operations. This may also include instructing small groups or one of our many group exercise classes
- Ensure that outstanding fitness and Wellness experiences are provided to all members (i.e. supporting the development of motivating monthly member activity events, leading fitness and wellness floor cleaning and services, supporting the delivery of outstanding personal wellness experiences, inspiring new member on-boarding experiences and to increase member satisfaction and participation in fitness and wellness activities.
- Builds effective, authentic relationships with members; helps them connect with each other and the YMCA. Encourages involvement and identifies potential volunteers.
- Conveys information on programs and schedules and as appropriate refers members to other programs either on the facility floor or helping with such operations as front desk or supervision.
- Maintains records as required for Ready to be Fit programming or other programs as need arises.
- Attends staff meetings and trainings as scheduled.
- Follows all YMCA policies, rules, regulations and procedures, including emergency and safety procedures. Completes incident and accident reports as necessary.
- Organizes and puts away needed equipment. Reports damaged equipment. Cleans and tidies fitness areas as needed.
- Supervises fitness spaces and does demonstrations and programming as needed.
- Other duties as assigned.
YMCA LEADERSHIP COMPETENCIES:
Mission Advancement: Accepts and demonstrates the Y’s values. Demonstrates a desire to serve others and fulfill community needs. Recruits volunteers and builds effective, supportive working relationships with them. Supports fund-raising.
Collaboration: Works effectively with people of different backgrounds, abilities, opinions, and perceptions. Builds rapport and relates well to others. Seeks first to understand the other person’s point of view, and remains calm in challenging situations. Listens for understanding and meaning; speaks and writes effectively. Takes initiative to assist in developing others.
Operational Effectiveness: Makes sound judgments, and transfers learning from one situation to another. Embraces new approaches and discovers ideas to create a better member experience. Establishes goals, clarifies tasks, plans work and actively participates in meetings. Follows budgeting policies and procedures, and reports all financial irregularities immediately. Strives to meet or exceed goals and deliver a high-value experience for members.
Personal Growth: Pursues self-development that enhances job performance. Demonstrates an openness to change, and seeks opportunities in the change process. Accurately assesses personal feelings, strengths and limitations and how they impact relationships. Has the functional and technical knowledge and skills required to perform well; uses best practices and demonstrates up-to-date knowledge and skills in technology.
Ideal candidates will possess a minimum of two to five years of experience working within a fitness and wellness department and have a record of delivering personal wellness instruction. An undergraduate degree in exercise science, kinesiology, nutrition or physical education is preferred. A positive attitude, a commitment to delivering outstanding customer service, and a track-record of maintaining personal accountability within an enthusiastic, team-oriented work environment is a must.
WORK ENVIRONMENT AND PHYSICAL DEMANDS:
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Ability to walk, stand, and sit (including on the floor) for long periods of time.
- Exposure to communicable diseases and bodily fluids.
- Must be able to lift and/or assist children up to 50 pounds in weight.
- Must be able to lift and carry food and supplies weighing up to 20 pounds.
- Ability to stand or sit while maintaining alertness for several hours at a time.
- Position may require bending, leaning, kneeling, and walking.
- Ability to speak concisely and effectively communicate.
- Visual and auditory ability to respond to critical situations and physical ability to act swiftly in an emergency
- Ability to view/enter data for long periods of time.