The Y is committed to providing a safe and welcoming environment for all members and guests. To promote safety and comfort for everyone, all individuals are asked to act appropriately while exhibiting the character values of respect, responsibility, caring and honesty. A member, program participant, or guest who is in violation of the Code of Conduct could be subject to consequences including removal from a program and/or termination of membership or program privileges.
RESPECT – Value the worth of every person, serve as an example
- Verbally abusive or vulgar language, including swearing, name-calling, shouting or threatening is not permitted
- All members serve as examples for the children and young people in our Y; sexually explicit conversation, demonstration of sexual activity or sexual contact with another person is not permitted
- Appropriate attire must be worn; please refrain from overly revealing attire
- Loitering is not permitted in or outside YMCA facilities or programs
- To protect the privacy of our members, cell phone use is not permitted in any locker room or rest room areas. Discreet and respectful use of cell phones is allowed in public/open areas only
RESPONSIBILITY – Do what is right, be accountable for actions and behaviors
- For your safety and the safety of others posted rules in program areas must be followed
- You may not carry or conceal devices that may be used as weapons*
- Use or possession of illegal drugs or alcohol on YMCA property or at YMCA programs is prohibited
CARING – Show sincere concern for others, be kind in words and actions
- Physical contact with another person in an angry or threatening way is not permitted
- Harassment or intimidation by words, gestures, body language or menacing behavior is not permitted
- Smoking, e-cigarette and tobacco use are not permitted. YMCA grounds and facilities are smoke, e-cigarette and tobacco free environments
HONESTY – Demonstrate reliability and trustworthiness through action
- For your safety and security, members and guest pass users must check-in with their membership card/photo ID at the Welcome Desk and identify themselves when asked by YMCA staff
- Theft or behavior that results in the destruction of property, will not be tolerated
Anyone who feels that this Code of Conduct is being violated should report the behavior to a staff person on duty. YMCA staff members are eager to be of assistance. Please notify a staff member if assistance is needed.
Suspension or termination of YMCA membership may result from a violation of this Code of Conduct. While an incident is being investigated, the membership of the person(s) accused of violating this Code of Conduct may be temporarily suspended pending a final decision.
Our YMCAs utilize video technology to protect all persons. Cameras are installed in open/public areas only and not in private areas such as locker rooms, restrooms, etc.
Sexual Offender Background Check Policy:
The Watertown Family YMCA considers it of great importance to provide a safe and threat free environment. The YMCA utilizes a nation-wide screening software to identify individuals listed on the national sex offender registry. Persons identified on the national registry will not be eligible for YMCA membership.
*Does not apply to Law Enforcement Officials carrying weapons within the bounds of their public duty
Adopted by action of the Board of Directors May 16, 2017